Motherboard Moving from ASUS B760 I to z790, etc...advice needed on best modest price MB

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
Thanks for posting the video!

After all these years of ordering from them I never had one problem and I guess I got very lucky buying two OB motherboards in a row as both are just fine. Looks like I will have to be very careful in the future dealing with them.

I have bought what was sold as new from other places before and found they had be opened and likely used or obviously used but it was always local stores and I just returned the items and made sure the replacements were factory sealed.

Rick

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
The Asrock Z690 PG-ITX/TB4 is by far best price I have found and I very much appreciate your recommendation on it:)

UPDATE: On order, $170 shipped from NewEgg so if anything wrong with it full refund for 30 days. Usually do not have to pay shipping if over $100 but it was only $9.95, rest was tax/

BTW: Information I just dug up from the Asrock homepage: "*Supports PCIe riser cards to extend one x16 slot to two x8 slots" - which means the board supports PCIe Bifurcation.

And yeah, I'm currently considering buying it myself - because the A4 H2O should be on its way, and I will be testing whether or not I can get my 280 AIO side-mounted.

cu, w0lf.

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
"*Supports PCIe riser cards to extend one x16 slot to two x8 slots" - which means the board supports PCIe Bifurcation."
I had to look that up, seen discussion about using two NVME cards on one PCIe slot, now need to see if it can do something to help the graphics card since only one slot, using it with a riser card now but not set in BIOS for it.

So far I really like the MB, only thing I plan to mod is the little fan for the VRM which is up against the heatsink and no airflow, silly design actually. I am looking at opening up behind it, maybe all the way through it and around the heat pipe. I might just try some standoffs behind the fan at first, just thought of that. The only exhaust is some holes in the I/O shield, might drill some into both ends, etc so it can pull air in a least a bit, try the fan flipped over, etc.....

I will check out that case you ordered, like to see options though likely to keep the case I have, JUST did, I really like that case, hmmmmmmm....

Looking into a used 4070 and it would have to be not much taller than mounting bracket height, 1/2" max, and 2.25 slots, etc to go with the 280,x20mm radiator and clear all the fans and still a very tight fit, seems A4 H20 would be much easier to work with than the Fractal Ridge I have with 8 case fans installed though less fans of course.

Rick

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
Dang, if just a little wider a 280mm AIO would fit on the top. Side mounting may require moving the graphics card to the top if not to long for a riser cable, I do not know if their is a limit in length on them. I am going to look into this a bit, just for fun most likely:)

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
"*Supports PCIe riser cards to extend one x16 slot to two x8 slots" - which means the board supports PCIe Bifurcation."
I had to look that up, seen discussion about using two NVME cards on one PCIe slot, now need to see if it can do something to help the graphics card since only one slot, using it with a riser card now but not set in BIOS for it.

The bifurb is nice if one eg. wants to extend things, and yeah, 8x is not so nice, but well .. PCIe 4 x8 is supposedly the same as PCIe 3 x16. So running a split connection with one GPU and some kind of extension card (maybe a NVMe 2x) would work. But also GPU + audio processing or whatever card. Or maybe even two GPUs :D

For reference: https://www.techspot.com/review/2104-pcie4-vs-pcie3-gpu-performance/

For me, having the option to add audio or other cards is more important than having another SSD, which in theory I just could stuff inside an external drive case with TB3 / TB 4 / 3.2 support or even just USB 3.1 anyway (20 GB > 10 GB > SATA3 = 6 GB/s).

So far I really like the MB, only thing I plan to mod is the little fan for the VRM which is up against the heatsink and no airflow, silly design actually. I am looking at opening up behind it, maybe all the way through it and around the heat pipe. I might just try some standoffs behind the fan at first, just thought of that. The only exhaust is some holes in the I/O shield, might drill some into both ends, etc so it can pull air in a least a bit, try the fan flipped over, etc.....
Looking forward to this. Maybe its worth replacing it?

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Dang, if just a little wider a 280mm AIO would fit on the top. Side mounting may require moving the graphics card to the top if not to long for a riser cable, I do not know if their is a limit in length on them. I am going to look into this a bit, just for fun most likely:)
THAT is what I'm planning to do. Case should arrive on Monday. So just await my results :)

My GPU is a bit taller than the maximum height, but I want to replace it with another GPU anyway. Wont hurt if the top stays open / lifted for a month or two :D

My plans are for a RTX 4070, either the Inno3D Twin X2 or the MSI Ventus Ventus 2X. Depending on actual space measurements I might go for the Inno3D Stealth White, the one which hides the power cord in the middle instead of proudly showing it at the side. The only disadvantage of the Inno3D over the MSI is, that its 870g (acc. to the Inno3D support) vs. 660ish (even the Super is only 10g "heavier") of the MSI.

On the topic of actual space, there is this quote from the DAN A4 H2O thread:
The radiator + fan space is 133x280x55

So my GPU is 100 (112 including PCIe connector) x 280 x 54, but rises up to 58 mm, hooray for blingbling idiotic fancy Gigabyte design.
And yeah, it weights half a ton (1,3 kg), so its not particularly good for a portable build, anyway. But when I bought it, I primarly was looking for GPU that would fit my Mesh-mATX build :D

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
I just watched a couple of builds on your new case and really like it a great deal! I will see how it goes but for now decided to buy a slim 240 AIO for the FR case as far less costly than anything I could come up with for a 280 setup, which I could of made fit in the FR....not bought yet, back to remodeling our full time, super high end build, RV, ouch $$$$$$$$.....

I actually tested setting the 2x8 versus 1x16 in the BIOS and barely any difference either way, some benchmarks one was slightly faster than the other. Makes me wonder what I might need to look into since I thought it would be a big difference in performance.

Mine is not meant for portability, I just like to build compact low weight stuff, 25 years ago I put together the lowest weight full suspension mountain bike known in in the world by 20%, lots of work and money, I planned to race in seniors class events but one more injury and I decided to not race. I could of made it even lighter but would of been to many compromises on reliability and I tended to bend crank arms unless very strong.

I understand about these card sizes, bigger is better, like a lifted truck on 24" wheels, call them Mall Crawlers....I too am looking into the 4070, triple fans, dual fans, FE......need to sell some stuff first.

Rick

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
I am thinking about selling my Fractal Ridge as have quite a few parts for it then use some of the parts in a new build.
No real need to do this, just a way to fund more building fun.

Case, Fractal Ridge with 3 front fans added and 3 top fans, filters, etc
MB, B760 Asus
CPU, i5-13600k but can sell without or get a different CPU
CPU frame, Thermalright Anti Bending Frame
Arctic MX-6 paste
Cooler, Be-Quiet Shadow Rock LP, modded a bit to fit one cable
GPU, 3060 Ti Founders Edition
RAM, Samsung 2x16 DDR5, clocks to 5400, could not tell a bit of difference going to faster RAM in any test I ran.
PS, Corsair SF600 Platinum (worked great with 13600k and 3060 ti)
Drive, 1TB Samsung Evo Plus 870
Fans, six 80mm Arctic PMW PST, 15x120mm Silverstone best HP fan for CPU cooler, two 140mm fans
Fan Controller, Arctic

System runs great, only gets hot if running something like Cinebench but not on any graphics test I ran, stays around 50-60c on CPU, GPU never gets to hot as a ton of airflow with all those fans around it.

Any idea of what it is worth?

I want to get a differnt case, looking at the A4-H20 and others as well as want to get a 4070, etc and keep the 13600k CPU unless somebody wanted it, I can get a different one easily enough.

Can I post this up in the for sale area or do I have to set a price first? I guess I better go read the rules again:)

Rick

Last edited:
Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I just watched a couple of builds on your new case and really like it a great deal! I will see how it goes but for now decided to buy a slim 240 AIO for the FR case as far less costly than anything I could come up with for a 280 setup, which I could of made fit in the FR....not bought yet, back to remodeling our full time, super high end build, RV, ouch $$$$$$$$.....

Current result: It DOES fit. Panel closes et all. Tight fit, but all in where it belongs. BUT: You need to get creative with the PSU position, as this clashes right with the inlet / outlet ports of the radiator. With a custom loop, this might be not such a big issue.

Edit: Got creative with the tubes. Now everything fits. Bit tight, but when its running, the tubes should be ok :D

Also tested with my GTX 1660 deshroud project: Fits with a few mm left, so 128 mm height is no issue.
Specs: 199 x 128 x 43 mm. Obviously the PCIe plate wont fit, but you know, where a Dremel is, there is a way :D
Or just remove it, need to use adapters to reroute it anyway.

Another edit: The RX 6800 fits INCLUDING io bracket :D .. sure, not in height, because its clearly too tall (58 - 61 mm vs. 55 mm), even if I would remove the tubes which I am currently routing through the radiator compartment, but still: surprising how it sits in there, including all the bells and whistles :D 🤣

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
Very cool indeed:)
I was outbid on the Vida Slim by $1, dang it was going to be mine at about half price.

OK though as I am now looking far more seriously at your new case and the very fine FormD T1, both overlooked when I did my first SFF build(besides modding Optiplex units) and wanted the thinnest case I could get with room for lots of fans for cooling so picked the Fractal Ridge.

I can use a different AIO in either case so the slim not required but I think it still might be a great cooler for the tighter confines of the T1.

No rush and now deep into the remodeling so I will just keep looking for the right deals and might list my FR as mentioned but with options the buyer could pick from, good idea, or not?

------------

Idea I had on the FR with the close fitment of the Vida Slim and 8 fans to blow in and suck out air around the GPU, remove the shroud and fans on a 4070 and test it that. I expect it might be just fine if the airflow is directed well. What do you think or know?

-------------

Thanks, back to my work outside, love it, clean air, amazing mountain views......

Rick

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Idea I had on the FR with the close fitment of the Vida Slim and 8 fans to blow in and suck out air around the GPU, remove the shroud and fans on a 4070 and test it that. I expect it might be just fine if the airflow is directed well. What do you think or know?
I've actually seen several of such builds (mostly on Reddit in r/sffpc), a few in the Ridge, but also in different cases, and they seem to do decently well.

Would have been my other option: mATX + 30x40x10 case, with either a 240 or a 280 rad sandwiching the GPU, and PSU positioned in front of the mb, like it is done in the Meshlicious.

cu, w0lf.

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
I am curious as to what pump, fittings, etc you used with the 280mm radiator? Or if you used a 280mm AIO?

I already have slim 120 and 240 fans I would be testing out, both have higher pressure, etc so good for blowing through a radiator.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I am curious as to what pump, fittings, etc you used with the 280mm radiator? Or if you used a 280mm AIO?

I already have slim 120 and 240 fans I would be testing out, both have higher pressure, etc so good for blowing through a radiator.
Its an AIO, ie. the be quiet Silent Loop 2 280. Gonna post a few pictures on my insta as soon as I got enough together.

cu, w0lf.

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
I am looking into the thinnest radiator 280 AIO right now, I want to test the ideal of removing the shroud and fans, if that works I might even keep the case I have but not much fun compared to your new case or the FormD Ti ( I love the design and build of it though I know it will not support a 280 AIO....

I might end up being OK with a bit thicker radiator and or fans.....getting as close to the GPU as I can make it fit.

Thanks again!!!

Rick

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I am looking into the thinnest radiator 280 AIO right now, I want to test the ideal of removing the shroud and fans, if that works I might even keep the case I have but not much fun compared to your new case or the FormD Ti ( I love the design and build of it though I know it will not support a 280 AIO....

I might end up being OK with a bit thicker radiator and or fans.....getting as close to the GPU as I can make it fit.

Thanks again!!!

Rick
AFAIK the thinnest is the Alphacool Nexxos ST20. Its 20 mm thin, 311 x 140 x 20 mm are the official exact dimensions.

So if you pair them with regular sized fans, that'd be 45 - 47 mm, or if you go with slim ones, it'd be even down to 35.6 mm (rad + Silverstone Air Slimmer 140. One of the few reviews I found is by CrazyTechLab, who has tested several slim 140s.

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024

CORSAIR iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT, 280mm , used but mint from great seller on Ebay, $48 delivered, worth giving it a try though a little longer than I wanted only one 280 would fit in my case and it was not a good brand so I can just cut the back opened up a bit to get it in place.​

The pump/block is thin enough I can install a 120 or 140mm fan onto the case side and try blowing in or out to see what helps keep the VRM cooler...if sucking in I will keep the dust filter installed.

I like the AIO you are using but it was easy to see no way to make the lines/pump work in the little space I have in the FR case or I would of bought one.

At least I did not spend much and get to have some fun when it gets here:)

Last edited: