CPU Buy APU and motherboard now?

Niblick

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 29, 2024
Hi all, I plan to build a SFF mini-ITX PC to replace my 2015 laptop and to make life difficult I want to make it fanless but am uncertain how to proceed, mainly because of questions about availability. This post is about the motherboard and APU.

I had settled on the new 6 core AMD Ryzen 5 8600G because of its integrated video and 65W TDP, as well as the AI NPU engine (might be fun), plus the Gigabyte B650I AX motherboard, deciding against the more expensive and power-hungry boards which offer PCIe 5.0 as I don't intend to have a video card and figure storage will be fast enough.

However I read firstly that Microsoft are likely to specify a minimum standard for local AI which exceeds the 8600G's capability and secondly, AMD are going to release new Strix Point APUs in the second half of this year, "a major upgrade" which should have sufficient AI and be better all round. So, should I wait a few months in the hope that the new APUs are suitable and affordable? Will prices for current APUs and motherboards drop as a result (or anyway) in the next few months?

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
If the pattern continues, the APU:s show up in mobile variant first, then arrive in desktop variant much later. Could be late 2025 for the desktop variant, if they even decide to release it. Seems like a long uncertain wait to me.

Niblick

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 29, 2024
Well seems like you already know the answer to your question : wait for Strix Point.

I doubt it'll be more afforable, zo.
Well, not more affordable but not wildly more expensive, I could cope with say 20%. The other reply suggests it could be a long wait for desktop CPUs.

Niblick

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 29, 2024
If the pattern continues, the APU:s show up in mobile variant first, then arrive in desktop variant much later. Could be late 2025 for the desktop variant, if they even decide to release it. Seems like a long uncertain wait to me.
Thanks I was hoping for some historical insight because I've not followed the market for many years. Looking again at the second reference I see I missed the significance of the table heading "Mobility CPUs". I could wait a few months for price drops and new mobos but it looks like I should settle for the 8600G.