Completed DeskNano x300 - a 1.2L replacement for the DeskMini a300/x300

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
This whole project is a thing of beauty. For the first time, I'm interested in dabbling in 3D printing. My rig is both a NAS (4*4TB SSDs) and home server (Home Assistant OS, ADSB feeder, Jellyfin server etc.). My main gripe is with the temps for rear SSDs. If - which admittedly doesn't happen often at all - they have to write for longer periods, they can get hot. So the mod with a rear fan is super interesting.
  • Would the rear fan/2.5" drive module work with this USB 2.0 extension lid? It is the opposite side, isn't it?
  • When using the rear fan/SSD module and allowing air flow to the rear NVMe SSD, how should fans be directed in order for front and back fan not to work against each other?
  • In the long run, I'm super tempted to add an M.2 E-key 2.5GBit ethernet adapter (I don't need wifi), maybe like this one: . Should it be possible to integrate that in the USB 2 module above as well? That would be so sexy!

This style of usb lid didn't work out too well unfortunately, because the deskmini USB connector was just very bulky.

Some time later, I found a better extremely compact usb adapter ( https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804894031528.html ) designed a better lid around it for the Lander case, but that improved design didn't get incorporated back into the Desknano lids, so there just isn't a good solution there for usb unfortunately

Reactions: BaK and king_ben

king_ben

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2023
Some time later, I found a better extremely compact usb adapter ( https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804894031528.html )
Unfortunately, that link doesn't work, at least not here in Germany. Is the header on the mobo in standard USB 2.0 pitch? Something like this (https://de.aliexpress.com/i/1005005426984866.html) could be interesting, but I'm not sure how to fixate it...

P.S.: The local maker space has a Prusa MK3S. Would that be a good choice for a decent quality print?

Last edited by a moderator:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Unfortunately, that link doesn't work, at least not here in Germany. Is the header on the mobo in standard USB 2.0 pitch? Something like this (https://de.aliexpress.com/i/1005005426984866.html) could be interesting, but I'm not sure how to fixate it...

P.S.: The local maker space has a Prusa MK3S. Would that be a good choice for a decent quality print?
Prusa make some of the best printers so I'd be comfortable you'll get good quality if they're using it well.

Link for German AliExpress: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005080346280.html

Motherboard has a standard USB2.0 header, but the power switch & LED are a smaller pitch than typical.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Could someone post a photo for visual comparison?

Reactions: king_ben

king_ben

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2023

king_ben

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2023
I would love to find a way to integrate one of these in the Desknano:

I read it should fit in the WiFi card slot, but I find no spot where the ethernet port could go. Any ideas? I haven't bought it yet, so I don't have the dimensions.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I would love to find a way to integrate one of these in the Desknano:

I read it should fit in the WiFi card slot, but I find no spot where the ethernet port could go. Any ideas? I haven't bought it yet, so I don't have the dimensions.
I've been considering doing this for a 10GbE but then it ends up kinda pointless for the most part (for me). :p

king_ben

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2023
I've been considering doing this for a 10GbE but then it ends up kinda pointless for the most part (for me). :p

It would make sense for me a second NIC (and a faster one!) would allow for either faster (simultaneous) transfers from/to my NAS, or segregation of networks for certain VMs/containers. Would be cool.

But as I have zero experience with 3D modeling, it would be much preferable if I could integrate it into an existing design.

2.5Gbit was the fastest I was able to find in A/E Key. 10GbE was normally a long SSD-like card.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
It would make sense for me a second NIC (and a faster one!) would allow for either faster (simultaneous) transfers from/to my NAS, or segregation of networks for certain VMs/containers. Would be cool.

But as I have zero experience with 3D modeling, it would be much preferable if I could integrate it into an existing design.

2.5Gbit was the fastest I was able to find in A/E Key. 10GbE was normally a long SSD-like card.
you wont get above 1gbe on A/E because it’s limited by the pcie link, you need the much faster x4 of the b+m for 10gbe

king_ben

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2023
you wont get above 1gbe on A/E because it’s limited by the pcie link, you need the much faster x4 of the b+m for 10gbe

I probably just use the wrong search terms, but I cannot find good definitive info regarding the E-Key bandwidth. Which PCIe version at which factor should it support? Does that depend on the CPU?

(I found some reviews on Aliexpress and Amazon mentioning 270-280Mb/s, but of course I cannot verify that and I don't know which system they were used on.)

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I probably just use the wrong search terms, but I cannot find good definitive info regarding the E-Key bandwidth. Which PCIe version at which factor should it support? Does that depend on the CPU?

(I found some reviews on Aliexpress and Amazon mentioning 270-280Mb/s, but of course I cannot verify that and I don't know which system they were used on.)
A/E or key is typically PCIe x1 (two of them, IIRC*) and USB2.0

So usually this is split up by WiFi over PCIe x1 and Bluetooth over USB2.0

* You can potentially exploit this as two separate PCIe x1 links, dependent on the motherboard, as they may have both wired up, but I don't think you can connect any device as PCIe x2, as they're split up into two single lane links.

I'm not sure whether they have different generation PCIe links for different boards or chipsets. I think it's usually PCIe 2.0 - but that may change with PCIe 4 and 5 now becoming more mainstream.

king_ben

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2023
A/E or key is typically PCIe x1 (two of them, IIRC*) and USB2.0

So usually this is split up by WiFi over PCIe x1 and Bluetooth over USB2.0

* You can potentially exploit this as two separate PCIe x1 links, dependent on the motherboard, as they may have both wired up, but I don't think you can connect any device as PCIe x2, as they're split up into two single lane links.

I'm not sure whether they have different generation PCIe links for different boards or chipsets. I think it's usually PCIe 2.0 - but that may change with PCIe 4 and 5 now becoming more mainstream.

So let's assume a single usable PCIe Gen2 lane. According to Wikipedia says that should be 0.500 GB/s. I assume that is GByte/s, not GBit. 2.5GBit/s would be ~0.3125 GB/s. All calculations w/o overhead etc. Shouldn't that be sufficient? And according to the Deskmini X300's manual, the NVMe slots are using PCIe Gen3 - if that were true for the E-Key slot as well, we'd be looking at even higher baddwidth.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
So let's assume a single usable PCIe Gen2 lane. According to Wikipedia says that should be 0.500 GB/s. I assume that is GByte/s, not GBit. 2.5GBit/s would be ~0.3125 GB/s. All calculations w/o overhead etc. Shouldn't that be sufficient? And according to the Deskmini X300's manual, the NVMe slots are using PCIe Gen3 - if that were true for the E-Key slot as well, we'd be looking at even higher baddwidth.
For 2.5GbE sure! I always forget about 2.5GbE and 5GbE because I'm old

This guy should do 2.5GbE over M.2 A/E -> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005686418462.html
I'm not sure how much I'd trust it given it's running over untwisted unshielded wires from the card to the RJ45 socket but who knows!

king_ben

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2023
This guy should do 2.5GbE over M.2 A/E -> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005686418462.html
I'm not sure how much I'd trust it given it's running over untwisted unshielded wires from the card to the RJ45 socket but who knows!
That was my worry too. That flat cable (looks a bit like the IDE ones of old) might also be short and awkward to manage in a tight case. I was wondering if it could be replaced with something of higher quality, but that might be too niche.