Other HELP | Smoke coming out from case after plugged in

Wohme

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 30, 2024
I'm a newbie, this is my second small build that I was planning for a backup. When I first plugged the cable in, I smelled and saw smoke coming out (not sure from exactly which connector) so I unplugged immediately.

Setup:
MBD: ASRock J4205-ITX
RAM: Kingston 4 GB 1600 MHz KVR16LS11/4
PSU: Some DC-DC board (300W) named Debroglie with a 12V@18A Delta adapter
HDD: 1 WD Purple 4 TB

Important things to mention:
  • The MBD is screwed to all of the standoffs.
  • I've put the grounding ring between the MBD and its standoff screw.
  • I've installed the DC-DC board also on the case (Fractal Core 500) with standoffs.
  • I noticed that I've put the 2-pin reset front panel connector 1-pin wrong to the right instead of the original place.
  • When I plugged in only my adapter + DC-DC board with the ATX connector there was no smoke or any other issue.
Here it is how it looked before assembling completely.

What might've caused this issue? I'm freaking, because I'm not sure if I fried my components. Please help! :(

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Hmm - if you take each component out and give em the sniff/eyeball test, can you isolate which one let the smoke out?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
My first instinct would be to check out all the DC power connections.

Have a look for surface mount components on the DC adapter board and see if any look burned or cracked.
If you're somewhat lucky, there's a polarity protection diode there that's probably popped, and will need to be removed or replaced before it'll work again. Of course, you'll also need to double/triple check the polarity it's expecting.

What adapters have you got running between the Delta adapter and the DC-ATX? Have you got the model/pinout for each of them, and checked that it's supplying the expected polarity and voltage?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Oh... where did you plug the 4pin connector in??

As best I can tell:
The INPUT (AC-DC adapter to 4-pin) is the separate 4-pin plug on the top right.
The OUTPUT (20pin ATX + 4pin ATX12V if required by motherboard) is the two plugs together at the edge of the board.

Wohme

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 30, 2024
My first instinct would be to check out all the DC power connections.
Have a look for surface mount components on the DC adapter board and see if any look burned or cracked.
I had a good look on them and they are immaculate, no sign of any burn or crack.

What adapters have you got running between the Delta adapter and the DC-ATX? Have you got the model/pinout for each of them, and checked that it's supplying the expected polarity and voltage?

Here is a picture of it, this is how I connected them. These are the components in order:
1. Delta power brick -> 8-pin Mini-Fit Jr. male output
2. 16-pin Mini-Fit Jr. female input -> DC male barrel output
3. DC female barrel input -> 4-pin Mini-Fit Jr. male output + grounding ring
4. DC 12V 4-pin Mini-Fit Jr. female input on the PSU board (not seen on above pic.)

I just put them together where they fit and clamp. There is only 1 way to connect them due to the shape of it.

Have you got the model/pinout for each of them, and checked that it's supplying the expected polarity and voltage?
I don't have model/pinout for them. The power brick's exact type is Delta EADP-220AB B.
I gotta get a multimeter, but I'm clueless about how to use it... Know any good guides I could look at to make sure I'm on track?

Oh... where did you plug the 4pin connector in??

As best I can tell:
The INPUT (AC-DC adapter to 4-pin) is the separate 4-pin plug on the top right.
The OUTPUT (20pin ATX + 4pin ATX12V if required by motherboard) is the two plugs together at the edge of the board.
I've plugged the 4-pin power connector to the top right corner, where it says DC12V input. I triple checked this before proceeding. I didn't use the other 4-pin for CPU, because the MBD has iCPU.

Thanks a bunch for all the help, everyone! It really means a ton. 🙏

Wohme

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 30, 2024
Update: I'm catching a whiff of smoke coming from the motherboard's CPU heatsink. Could the CPU be fried? There's a separate 4-pin connector for CPUs on the DC-DC board, but I didn't use it because the motherboard lacks an input for it since the CPU is integrated.

Is there any correlation here?

Wohme

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 30, 2024
Have you got the model/pinout for each of them, and checked that it's supplying the expected polarity and voltage?
I measured the PSU with a multimeter. All the pins supply the expected polarity and voltage, except the -12 V, which shows -10. Also the voltage was fluctuating at times, dropping to 0 and then back to -10 gradually, but never over it.

Reactions: Phuncz