Discussion What do you consider your end game?

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I gonna start with mine:

For ITX boards, my S396 / S300 mod feels very "end gamish" for now, but I'm still tempted with stuff like a custom loop in the Dan A4-SFX, or the SGPC K49 v2 (6.9ish L case).

In terms of mATX, I certainly havent reached my end game yet, but I've been pondering about it, coming to conclusions like: 10 - 12L with liquid cooling, eg. using the Meshlicious / Meshroom S as a base, and then enhance it. My calculations say, 33 x 28 x 13 ~= 12L would be cool, or 33 x 24.6 x 14 ~= 11.3L, but 33 x 24.6 x 13 would be .. swell (10.5ish L).

cu, w0lf.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
ITX - Not sure to be honest. I've been rolling M-ATX and ASRock DeskMeet for long enough now that mid-size SFF is where my mind's at

M-ATX - The SAMA-IM01 is about peak for where I'd like it, maybe 1L smaller and a bit better built.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
After an initial hiccup, I managed to actually succeed with my watercooling project in the Dan A4-SFX - it was not a full loop, just a custom-made aio and also noctuarize my 2060. That was back in 2020 and it was when I actually felt like I reached my end game state.
However, I started to miss the regular layout - even with an ITX gpu, I really liked just how much lighter and roomier this case was with an L9a with a 3D-printed duct, while not even loosing significant cooling performance compared to a 120mm aio. Also making it happen with just that cooler for 40 bucks compared to all the cost and effort of the watercooling stuff (and L9a looked great too) made me eventually reconsider and after a year, I went back to the traditional layout. The weight of a much harder maintenance, knowing that eventually I need to change the coolant and whatnot, with the much-much harder dis-; and reassembling procedure was a burdening feeling - to let all that go was a relief and I liked the case being so roomy with a visibly better cable management.
It made me realize, that I left out a few things about the equation that results in a true end game for me - things like simplicity and price/value.

I am now in a Velka 3 still with the same noctuarized 2060 ITX gpu, yet switched to a 12400T. It's tiny, simple and dead silent while delivers enough performance for what I need. Still, a noctuarized 4060 (maybe with the model from Manli) is what I would consider ultimate endgame for me, or maybe a low profile 4060 in an A24-v5 with a regular 13400 (since the case having taller cooler clearance), but it might be overkill for me. Since I don't need much power, what brings the feeling of satisfaction for me is how effectively can I cool everything with low noise and consumption in a simple build using a 4-5L case.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Gotta point out: My needs are not in gaming, its primarly CPU power. Preferably portable. So in theory, I would even be contented with just a 4060 LP or a StormX-sized GPU, while the CPU gotta have lots of oomph. Some of my ideas for SFF contain CPU-only, with 180 mm rads, or "classic" 240 AIOs etc.

cu, w0lf.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I'm an ITX-only kind of guy, and I have both of my endgame cases.
For the most uncompromising builds, the S4T-L with an internal loop should be capable of running anything. A 180x180mm rad, ITX and full GPU support (Sub 230mm PCBs) in 6.6L is the dream.
For a more humble and portable setup, the S4M-C takes the cake. While it's currently shelved, being able to run a 70-80 tier GPU and blackridge mean that it packs more than enough punch for it's size

• Love

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I remember about 1.5-2 years ago I saw a reference 6750XT available at caseking. I visited the store page for a whole week every day, put it into the basket and always resisted the urge to buy it - then it became out of stock. It was so beautiful, a black card with some white touches and looked absolutely gorgeous. That would've been AM4 end game build in a Dan A4-SFX with my black Asus b550-i Strix.

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I've had a Velka 5 for 2 years now, which is a long time for me since I like to change things up frequently. It has been a perfect balance of good portability and hardware compatibility for my needs. I travel a lot for work, so having something I can put in a carry on backpack that can fit under the seat is awesome and being able to use a 12400 and 4070 in it means I can game at 1440p without issue. I also have no thermal or noise issues with it.

If this was a build that I didn't travel with then it would get old because of hardware limitations, but for my needs it has met that ever elusive "end game"...so far.

Reactions: rfarmer

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Doable with mATX right now = available cases on the EU market: Something around 12 - 13L. There are several cases floating around like the LC-1400mi, Chieftec Uni UE-02B or Aerocool Playa Slim, all using the same base, so 30 x 40 x 9 - 11cm.

Got an amazon card box of similar size sitting here, did a mockup, and even the chonky RX 6800 fits. Semi-sandwich / console-style crossbreed.

I think full custom loop with eg. a 200 mm radiator or 2x 240 thin radiators would be .. the final masochist end game of the mATX. With 200 mm rad, approx 8.7L, with 2x 240 rad, approx 8.4 - 8.6L. Assuming using either Flex or better HDPlex GaN PSU, max GPU block length <= 25 mm, and somewhat appropriate breathing room for the fans + case protrusions + panels etc.

cu, w0lf.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
End game is the NEXT case...
I agree, the NeXT is very desirable 😊

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
For me, it would be an AIO with integrated batteries. I'm just so sick of cables, but hate laptops too since the screen's not high enough.

vinnyoflegend

Trash Compacter
Mar 18, 2022
MATX but under 10L.
I'm occasionally tempted by Deep ITX (YTX) motherboards from ASRock especially if they have 4 DIMM slots. And the minis forums that can seat 4 m.2 drives also seem cool, but at the end of the day I want as much of both as possible, leading right back to MATX.

I've currently got a Asus Prime Z790M plus D4 in an SGPC K59 (~8L) with 3mm standoffs to accommodate a Zotac 4070 twin. The motherboard has 4 DIMMs (I had 128GB for a while, but took half out temporarily for another SFF ESXI VMWare host) has 3 m.2 slots, and I'm able to get two more, one with a 1x pcie to M.2 card, and another from a 8x4x4 (bifurcating riser, running in 8x for gpu and 4x for another m.2 (the z790 only can bifurcate up to 8x +8x). I'm currently waiting for some right angle and reverse right angle pcie adapters to see if I can fit 1-2 more pcie m.2 cards. (I would try a 3x-4x raid 0 on the Optane drives if I could squeeze a few more)

The SGPC K59 also has one spot open for a 2.5" drive (I put an enterprise Intel D3-S4610 4TB drive there). The case allows for a 70mm cooler, currently an AXP120-x67 cooling a 12700K (PL1_125 PL2_190)

What do I do with all the M.2s? I run raid 0 across 2 118GB Intel Optane P1600X and do frequent backups to at least one of the other M.2s and an external M.2.

I don't think I'll find another combination I like as much for a long while. The only upgrades I would be thinking about is sourcing an Inno3d 4070 Ti Super twin which will just barely fit in the case.

For my SFF ESXI host, I had it in an SKTC A09, but have been liking the look of the XWorks X32, it also makes it easier to swap m.2. PCIE cards to boot up different things. I did try an MATX motherboard on there but it just felt too big. I do think a Deep ITX (YTX) board would look pretty good though paired with a 244mm GPU...I just can't convince myself that those ASRock rack boards are worth the premium though...